Search This Blog

This blog....

...is really just me transferring a folder of papers - scientific or otherwise - that I give my trainees at the start of their time with me, along with my ISCP profiles and any other (even barely) relevant stuff that I wanted to share. I thought I would put it online, and as things stand it is in an entirely open access format. I welcome any comments, abuse, compliments, gifts etc
This blog has embedded pdf files. They are linked to Google Drive and will not work on computers which deny access to that, such as many NHS workstations. Some browsers are better than others for this, such as Firefox or Chrome. The files can be read within the blogpost or opened separately via the icon in their top right hand corner, which also allows you to download and save them, if you want. It should be tablet and smartphone friendly.

Translate

Tuesday 17 October 2017

The midnight hour

Even with the lousy anti-training New Deal foisted on the medical profession by the BMA and their dweebish unclinical negotiators, junior doctors - if the term is still permitted - can still end up doing a true on call, rather than shifts, and can still be called in in the middle of the night.

It seems not to be like it was however, and in many ways that's a good thing.

In the early 90's, before we had consultants in Casualty (which became A&E, now Emergency Medicine, these guys are very into semantics), patients still survived. I do welcome senior Casualty/A&E/Emergency Medicine presence, and I'm sure it's saved a few lives, though there can be a downside in terms of ownership of the case and the early decision making. But I digress.

It was correctly recognised that having a raw untutored SHO trying to resuscitate two polytraumas on his or her own, waiting for the cavalry to arrive, was not ideal. I've been there, it was pretty tough. So in my hospital we instituted the 'Trauma Bleep'. The deal was that there were three pagers held by the senior registrar in orthopaedics (me), the senior registrar in general surgery, and the senior registrar in anaesthetics (the important one, though I hate to admit it). If the bleep went off, you went straight to Casualty, no questions asked. It worked over many miles, so there was no escape. In any event, there were no mobile phones then, if you were out and thought you'd call in to see if you were really needed.

Most of the calls were not that critical, plenty of low grade stabbings that barely made it through the dermis, but there were still quite a lot of people who benefited from rapid resuscitation, airway security and all that. It coincided with the emergence of ATLS in the UK and the whole thing was really a big step forward in quality.

However, it could be bruising. My worst night I went in (a 6 mile round trip, so not too bad) at 11.30pm, got home at 2am, in again at 3am, home at 4.30am, in again at 5.30am, home for a shower at 7.30, staggering in to work for a full day starting at 8.30am. None of the cases was major trauma, but we were there, just in case.

You have to be at the bedside/trolley side to properly assess things, and it's a dying art.

I'm not recommending a return to that, but I still do on call from home, and I still go in. It's easier now as a consultant - much easier in fact, for various reasons - than it was 10 years ago and 20 years ago, when we were always having to go back in.

All this is a long winded preamble to a piece lifted in its entirety from the magnificent GomerBlog, which is mostly written by frontline clinicians. You can always tell....



On-call ophthalmologist heroically manages eye emergency from bed

DES MOINES, IA – Answering his phone in a daze at 2 AM last night, on-call ophthalmologist Reece Barnett reportedly handled a vision threatening eye emergency from the comfort of his nice warm bed.


“It was intense,” says Barnett.  “At first I was propped up on one elbow when I answered the phone. Then the emergency doc told me the patient had severe vision loss.  At that point, I sat straight up in bed with my down comforter only covering my legs.  I started getting a chill, but you gotta take these things seriously.” 

Barnett was able to listen to the patient’s history in between yawns, occasionally having the consulting doctor repeat things while he rubbed the crust from his eyes.  After several seconds of thoughtful consideration, Barnett thought it would be best to see the patient in clinic in the morning.

“This was a tough situation,” reports Barnett.  “By the end of the conversation, my sheet was all bunched up and my pillow was flat in all the wrong places.”  When asked why he elected to see the patient in the morning, Barnett replied, “By the time I get out of bed, get in my car, drive all the way to the hospital and see the patient, it will only be a few hours until morning anyway.  This is the best thing for the patient.”

At press time, Barnett was seen coordinating care for a patient with ocular trauma while wearing his eye mask.

I don't want to just pick on the eye guys, when did the on-call (and paid for it) dermatologist/breast surgeon/nearly all physicians/psychiatrist last come in at 3 in the morning?

It's bad enough trying to get a bedside visit during the day**.





**there are of course many honourable exceptions to this genuine and somewhat alarming trend

No comments:

Post a Comment