Search This Blog

This blog....

...is really just me transferring a folder of papers - scientific or otherwise - that I give my trainees at the start of their time with me, along with my ISCP profiles and any other (even barely) relevant stuff that I wanted to share. I thought I would put it online, and as things stand it is in an entirely open access format. I welcome any comments, abuse, compliments, gifts etc
This blog has embedded pdf files. They are linked to Google Drive and will not work on computers which deny access to that, such as many NHS workstations. Some browsers are better than others for this, such as Firefox or Chrome. The files can be read within the blogpost or opened separately via the icon in their top right hand corner, which also allows you to download and save them, if you want. It should be tablet and smartphone friendly.

Translate

Sunday 10 June 2018

Classifications are often rubbish

I used to pride myself on knowing lots of orthopaedic and trauma classifications. Many of them still provide a useful lingua orthopaedica when discussing cases, a few - such as Lauge-Hansen - definitely guide treatment, and a lot of them eg femoral revision classifications, are usually fairly pointless for me in practice, much as I admire their authors

I gave a lecture on revision hips where I introduced a new classification - at least I'd not seen it used in this way before. I actually do use the broad categories, say for the acetabulum, where cavitary bone defect, rim defect and pelvic discontinuity, do have some sort of practical meaning. But I definitely prefer this one, which I presented  at a lecture in Budapest in 2007. A year later I saw someone - who'd been in the audience - repeat it word for word, without due credit. Such is life.

Here are the slides from that PowerPoint (with the odd redaction):







Anyway, I mention it because I saw of of my pet hates suitably challenged recently, on Twitter of all places. The pet hate is the question that it seems all medical students are routinely taught to ask: "on a scale of 1 to 10, how bad is your pain?"

I have never used this stupid question in practice, as it is almost a definition of why we're advised to avoid non-parametric data in research. It means almost nothing in every case that it's used. I've seen it asked, and more than once heard the sullen deadpan reply of '11'. Of course. Probably just after the phrase "I have a high pain threshold you know, doctor, but..."

So I was delighted to see the following, made available by cancer survivor and wit, @TeaLady24. It just needs to be provided in a wipe clean laminate (with the numbers removed), at every outpatient clinic. 

"...just point to the one which represents your feelings best..."


genius, in it's way (click to enlarge)



1 comment:

  1. Great Blog!Thank you for sharing such informative blog.
    Download Indian Doctors Network and be a part of doctors network to share your knowledge.

    ReplyDelete