Search This Blog

This blog....

...is really just me transferring a folder of papers - scientific or otherwise - that I give my trainees at the start of their time with me, along with my ISCP profiles and any other (even barely) relevant stuff that I wanted to share. I thought I would put it online, and as things stand it is in an entirely open access format. I welcome any comments, abuse, compliments, gifts etc
This blog has embedded pdf files. They are linked to Google Drive and will not work on computers which deny access to that, such as many NHS workstations. Some browsers are better than others for this, such as Firefox or Chrome. The files can be read within the blogpost or opened separately via the icon in their top right hand corner, which also allows you to download and save them, if you want. It should be tablet and smartphone friendly.

Translate

Sunday 11 June 2017

Our orthopaedic ancestors

Could you think up an operation like this?

There are an awful lot of very good surgeons about these days. And of course we all consider ourselves at least slightly above average - I know, a statistician's nightmare - but how many great surgeons, or surgical pioneers are there?

Answer - not many.

So when you meet these people, or more probably, when you work with one of their previous trainees, you should cherish it and realise that you are indeed the recipient of significant accumulated orthopaedic wisdom. It is a privileged position,

In my own case I worked with Colin Howie, who worked with Robin Ling (Exeter hips for young readers), and I learned a lot. I also worked with David Rowley, who worked with Reg "not quite a genius" Elson, who worked with the ne plus ultra of hip arthroplasty, Sir John Charnley. In addition, David Rowley worked with John Insall on developing the next stage of the enduringly good Insall Burstein knee replacement. These are not negligible figures. I learned hands from John Dent who worked with Harold Kleinert  and  Graham Lister. I worked with Jimmy Innes who'd been a colleague of Marvin Tile and Robert Salter. I learned  a lot of trauma surgery from Jeremy Martindale, who worked with Chris Colton and the whole AO group. My own AO course involved Alan Apley (possibly the most natural teacher I ever heard speak), Maurice Muller, Hans Willenegger, Tom Ruedi and many more. I'm old enough to have met and heard lecture Bernie Morrey, Emile Letournel, Allan Gross, Gus Sarmiento, Charles Rockwood, Reinhold Ganz (a legend), Derek McMinn and quite a few others.

None of this makes me as good as these guys, but they are 'names' for a reason. Of course, I also worked with several outstanding surgeons who may not be quite as storied, but are just as great as surgeons, mentors, colleagues and teachers,

My point is this - treasure such encounters and listen to the details, the 'small print' of their lives and careers. They are potential treasure troves that will benefit you and your practice.

Most recently I met Diego Fernandez, the multilingual Argentine working in Switzerland, now in his seventies, and still working hard. He was charming and friendly - not everyone of these big names is -  and gave a marvellous talk on his life as a surgeon. Clearly brilliant technically, the unspoken messages were: be humble, think laterally, retain an interest in general orthopaedics, commit to a problem case, and have other facets to your life - in his case, incredibly, ocean surfing, still. Also, don't retire if you don't want to.

I mention Dr Fernandez partly because of this recent encounter, but also because of his influence on my practice. Let's face it, most of our reading - BJJ, JBJS, CORR, JArthroplasty, J Trauma etc etc - contains papers of some interest, but only very rarely something that changes one's practice. At the end of this post is Diego Fernandez' outstanding and exceptionally original paper on correcting post-traumatic problems of the distal radius, and doing it properly (ie. anatomically). Simply outstanding, and I use these techniques to this very day.

Graham Lister's comments at Harold Kleinert's death are what we would all like to have said about us, as surgeons and trainers: he had a profound effect on me as a person, on my career, and on how I approach the many problems we deal with in our discipline.

Cherish your orthopaedic lineage!




No comments:

Post a Comment