Search This Blog

This blog....

...is really just me transferring a folder of papers - scientific or otherwise - that I give my trainees at the start of their time with me, along with my ISCP profiles and any other (even barely) relevant stuff that I wanted to share. I thought I would put it online, and as things stand it is in an entirely open access format. I welcome any comments, abuse, compliments, gifts etc
This blog has embedded pdf files. They are linked to Google Drive and will not work on computers which deny access to that, such as many NHS workstations. Some browsers are better than others for this, such as Firefox or Chrome. The files can be read within the blogpost or opened separately via the icon in their top right hand corner, which also allows you to download and save them, if you want. It should be tablet and smartphone friendly.

Translate

Sunday 18 December 2016

A cost rather than an opportunity

Another oldie from Nigel Hawkes, but a good one. Depending on in which part of the NHS you work, I doubt that much has changed.

Years ago I saw a statistic that the city of Cincinatti (population about 300,000) had more MRI scanners than the NHS (UK population about 64 million). I'm sure that the ratio has improved since, but bearing in mind that the innovations behind the clinical use of MRI were primarily British, it makes a good point. In fact, Hawkes makes a very similar point here, in this case about Japan.

Medics are not particularly slow to innovate, but their plans may well be derailed by management, who, as Hawkes says, generally are slow to innovate - they're usually firefighting. And that's because of the pressure from the government behemoth above them, as much as anything, combined with poor spending decisions, often as not.

You don't have to be Albert Einstein to recognise that "if you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got", but funnily enough, it was him who said it.


No comments:

Post a Comment