Search This Blog

This blog....

...is really just me transferring a folder of papers - scientific or otherwise - that I give my trainees at the start of their time with me, along with my ISCP profiles and any other (even barely) relevant stuff that I wanted to share. I thought I would put it online, and as things stand it is in an entirely open access format. I welcome any comments, abuse, compliments, gifts etc
This blog has embedded pdf files. They are linked to Google Drive and will not work on computers which deny access to that, such as many NHS workstations. Some browsers are better than others for this, such as Firefox or Chrome. The files can be read within the blogpost or opened separately via the icon in their top right hand corner, which also allows you to download and save them, if you want. It should be tablet and smartphone friendly.

Translate

Saturday 17 December 2016

The same dudes that you misuse on your way up...

Most people would claim to adhere to this, but do you really? I'm not referring to life in general, but in your ward/office/theatre/teaching session.


Apply it to your workplace!


Do you speak to the cleaners? Do you know their names? How about all the nurses, including the students?

Do you ever have a go at the theatre staff? Did it go beyond the necessary correction?

I try to avoid it, but I have done it. Such is the hierarchy of hospitals, and the status and (residual) power of surgical consultants, we should all be aware that a kind word, a personally addressed comment, involving a student nurse in clinical care - there are hundreds of possible examples - may make their day, make them think well of you and might in some way benefit you too.

I know a consultant who asked of an earnest and trembling junior who had approached him, "what grade are you"? The quiverer answered "senior house officer".

"Go away, I don't speak to anyone less than a registrar".

Hmm. Funny in a way, but not good. If you're not nice to patients and their relatives you might end up in trouble. In part it's self-preservation.. It's how you behave with these other people, who can't hurt you, that is the best judgement.

The old claim that "he may be a bastard, but it's worth it because he's a great surgeon" was always rubbish. Great surgeons show greatness of spirit.


No comments:

Post a Comment