Search This Blog

This blog....

...is really just me transferring a folder of papers - scientific or otherwise - that I give my trainees at the start of their time with me, along with my ISCP profiles and any other (even barely) relevant stuff that I wanted to share. I thought I would put it online, and as things stand it is in an entirely open access format. I welcome any comments, abuse, compliments, gifts etc
This blog has embedded pdf files. They are linked to Google Drive and will not work on computers which deny access to that, such as many NHS workstations. Some browsers are better than others for this, such as Firefox or Chrome. The files can be read within the blogpost or opened separately via the icon in their top right hand corner, which also allows you to download and save them, if you want. It should be tablet and smartphone friendly.

Translate

Sunday 18 December 2016

Surgical teaching and the mating habits of the pheasant

A tenuous analogy, to be honest


As a trainer, Philosophy #1 is tempting, particularly when you're a new consultant.

The trainees in my deanery have pretty full logbooks, and we get trainer feedback that tells us if we're not giving trainee cases. But, there is an unhappy and impractical obsession with some surgical trainees putting operating as a priority far beyond clinical assessment, ward work, outpatient clinics and all the other stuff that doctors - as surgeons, believe it or not are doctors - should be doing.

To be fair the UK ISCP system using work based assessments does make an attempt to deal with this, albeit there's a limit to how much you can bureaucratise clinical work and clinical education.

At the very least Leo Gordon's phrase: awarding surgical responsibility without demanding (such) knowledge sells the resident short. In a greater sense it sells short the discipline of surgery...merits a little bit of contemplation.

And the penultimate paragraph is 100% true.


No comments:

Post a Comment